The disastrous "reforms" implemented by the coalition government in 2012 have left the NHS in a perilous state. Continued under-funding by the Tories has further compounded this.
In our constituency we have seen the Minor Injuries Unit in Ely threatened with closure whilst Addenbrookes was placed in special measures due to chronic under-funding. The ticking time bomb that is BREXIT will have further implications, applications from EU nurses has fallen 95% since the referendum at a time when recruitment of student nurses in the UK is in free-fall due to the abolition of the students bursary.
Some indications of the crisis within the NHS;
- A&E crisis, 900% worse than 2010 (Source: NHS Digital)
- £5bn cuts to social care (Source: NAO)
- Spend per patient down by 9.1% (Source: IFS)
- Nurse vacancy rate up by 200% (Source: HoC Library)
- GP vacancy rate up 500% (Source HoC library)
- NHS Waiting at 8 year high, 3.9m (Source: NHS Digital)
- Cancelled operations up 37% (Source: NHS Digital)
- Nurse pay cut in real terms £2,300 (Source NHS Digital)
- NHS running deficit £2bn (Source: NHS accounts)
- £21bn wasted in agency staff (Source: DoH)