Huw says, "I voted Remain, I campaigned for Remain in Ely and across SE Cambs.
The Tories proposed the EU referendum to hide their party divisions. The LibDems called for a referendum in their 2015 manifesto.
The Labour party did not call for a referendum but we are democrats and accept the result. We will clear up the Brexit mess created by the Tories and LibDems.
The Labour message is clear; we will negotiate to get the best deal for the British economy.
- Put jobs and the economy first
- Retain the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union
- Guarantee existing rights for all EU nationals living in Britain & secure reciprocal rights for UK citizens living in EU countries
- Ensure that the UK maintains our leading research role in EU wide scientific collaborations
- Securing continued EU market access for British farmers and food producers
- Retain the benefit of EU-derived laws including workplace laws, consumer rights and environmental protections
We will not
- Sacrifice the UK economy on the altar of anti migrant xenophobia
- Lecture the British people on how they got it wrong in 2016 and tell them to vote again and again and again until they get it right
Huw says, "I am Welsh, British and European. I believe Britain’s place is in Europe and hope that we will, in time, rejoin the EU. A second referendum in 2018 will set the cause of Britain in Europe back by a generation.
Labour won’t send Blithering Boris, David Davis and Liam Fox to wreck our relationship with Europe. Labour will send Kier Starmer, Emily Thornberry and Barry Gardner to get the best deal for Britain and leave the door open for a better relationship with Europe.